Tuesday, February 24, 2009

It is all summed up in a Talking Heads Song....


Lately I have been having a crisis of sorts. I simply don't enjoy my job as much as I did. I am never one to think that the world owes me a well paid, exciting and creative job like most people my age, but I also want to at least be happy 80% of the work week; that is simply not happening with my current position. I work long hours, deal with rejection on a daily basis, and constatly have my work under the microscope by every single member of my organization because I am in charge (with two other people) of funding the whole she-bang. It gets to be too much. Also, recently, one of my donors that I visited all the time passed away. I went to the visitation, hugged her husband, met her extended family, and went home... all in a days work.


I have spent weeks/years/since I graduated from college trying to decide when I want to go back to school. There was never an "if" about it - I am going to get my masters. It would be adventageous of me career wise, and personally I would really feel a huge sense of accomplishment. The one issue - I have no idea WHAT I want to go back to school for. Recently, I have been able to narrow it down to two possibilities:


1. Art history

2. Graphic Design


(At least I have developed a common theme).


So... on this road to realization, I was listening (as I sometimes do in times of confusion and doubt) to Talkings Heads album "More Songs About Building and Food" and found myself singing at the top of my lungs, "Found a Job" It was almost as if the clouds parted and I found my path.....


Thank you Talking Heads.


I have included the lyrics below - I hope they speak to you as well..........



"Damn that television ... what a bad picture!"

"Don't get upset, it's not a major disaster."

"There's nothing on tonight," he said, "I don't know what's the matter!"

"Nothing's ever on", she said, "so ... I don't know why you bother."


We've heard this little scene, we've heard it many times.

People fighting over little things, and wasting precious time.

They might be better off ... I think ... the way it seems to me.

Making up their own shows, which might be better than T.V.


Judy's in the bedroom, inventing situations.

Bob is on the street today, scouting up locations.

They've enlisted all their family.

They've enlisted all their friends.

It helped saved their relationship,

And made it work again ...


Their show gets real high ratings, they think they have a hit.

There might even be a spinoff, but they're not sure 'bout that.

If they ever watch T.V. again, it'd be too soon for them.

Bob never yells about the picture now, he's having too much fun.


Judy's in the bedroom, inventing situations,

Bob is on the street today, he's scouting up locations.

They've enlisted all their family. They've enlisted all their friends.

It helped save their relationship, And made it work again ...


So think about this little scene; apply it to you life.

If your work isn't what you love, then something isn't right.

Just look at Bob and Judy; they're happy as can be,

Inventing situations, putting them on T.V.


Judy's in the bedroom, inventing situations.

Bob is on the street today, he's having a vacation.

They've enlisting all their family.They've enlisted all their friends.

It helped save the relationship, And made it work again ...

No comments: